Deep in the heart of the Great Rift Valley is the Olkiramatian Conservancy and this is where this incredibly unique and morally inclined safari will take place. This itinerary has been designed to give the traveller not only an incredible wildlife and cultural experience but also to give the experience purpose. Lentorre Lodge is the base for this week long exploration and is an oasis of remarkable beauty and hosts a richness of life that can rival any park in the world. Its relationship with local Masaai Communities is of considerable importance as it is a model for the sustainable management of wild areas and their future along side man. From teeming wildlife, ancient and extinct volcanoes, soda lakes, visits to the Masaai villages, conservation presentations and aerial photography, this is a safari experience like none other.
Lentorre Lodge's mission status sums it up best:
"Our primary role is to ensure the integrity of this landscape for the benefit of its people and wildlife. We work to help communities in this landscape secure rights to their land, develop management systems to keep the landscape healthy and intact, and create economic opportunities. We continue to develop innovative local conservation models that promote coexistence of people and wildlife, cultural and ecological conservation, and community empowerment."
Getting to the Shompole Conservancy
Nairobi, Kenya's capital is an easy international flight from anywhere in the world. Once here you will be met by a Wild Eye representative and transfers by road to the Weston Hotel for a dinner and briefing around the day of travel. Dont forget that this trip lines up perfectly with a week in the Wild Eye Mara Camp.
After breakfast the following morning we will be transferred by road to Wilson Airport where we take a private charter flight from Nairobi to the Shompole Conservancy. A Lentorre representative will meet us on the ground and transfer us by road to the magnificent Lentorre Lodge where we will spend the next 7 nights.
Accommodation in the Shompole Conservancy
Lentorre Lodge comprises of four large villas that hold either a double or twin bed configuration, a family villa and a honeymoon villa, the lodge has a maximum capacity of just 16 guests. Each villa is a separate, stand-alone structure with an un-spoilt view of the wilderness looking towards Shompole Mountain. Each villa has its own dedicated plunge pool, incredible power shower and some have a luxurious bathtub.
With no fence and a well visited water hole with adjacent photographic hide you really do feel close to nature. In-between drives and after dinner, we will spend some time watching and photographing wildlife at eye level from the comfort of the under-ground hide.
Our day to day itinerary will vary greatly throughout this safari, with a solid mix of dedicated game drives, casual chats with local conservationists, Maasai Boma visits, local school visits, scenic helicopter flights and a solid dose of photographic tuition to help change the way you see the world.
In terms of camera equipment this trip will draw on a full range of camera gear and focal lengths. Here's what we'd suggest you brig along or arrange for us to assist with from a rental perspective:
- Telephoto Lens of at least 400mm
- A 70-200mm F2.8 will be ideal for animal in environment images as well as the scenic helicopter flights
- A 24-70mm for aerial photography and landscape images (we can stitch images in Lightroom to capture a wider angle with this lens)
- A 50mm F1.8 or 100mm F2.8 for portraits of some of the local people that we will be meeting during our time in the Shompole Conservancy
Some Highlights of the South Rift Valley and Shompole Safari
- This trip caters for a small exclusive group of just 4 guests with exclusive use of a luxury lodge
- Professional Wild Eye expedition leader on hand to assist you capture and edit your images throughout this safari
- Daily Lightroom tuition.
- No Single supplement
- Explore the Olkiramatian Conservancy, a community initiative developed by the local Maasai community to protect their wildlife, traditional lifestyle and their heritage.
- Visit an actual Maasai boma, an incredible cultural experience for all
- Enjoy bush breakfast on the edge of lake Natron
- Evening Presentation & Donation to the South Rift Land Owners Association (SORALO)
- Rebuilding the Pride Presentation & donation
- Enjoy a visit to a local school
- Scenic Helicopter flips over the iconic Lake Natron and Lake Magadi
- 3 hours total flying time per guest – two mornings and 1 afternoon each
Are you ready to change the way you see the world?