The Masai Mara as a safari destination is something I do not think needs an explanation.
This gem of a safari destination is one of the most prolific game viewing destinations imaginable as it is home to an incredibly diverse array of wildlife.
Along with that comes, probably one of the most spectacular natural events in the world. The arrival of the wildebeest migration, typically between July and October.
This is where millions of wildebeest and zebras travel from the Serengeti in Tanzania to the Masai Mara in Kenya in search of fresh grazing lands. Yes, the great migration is a year round movement.
Let me break it down for you;
- The wildebeest migration is an annual event that takes place in the Serengeti-Masai Mara ecosystem in East Africa. It is one of the world's largest mammal migrations, involving over 1.5 million wildebeest, zebras, and gazelles.
- The migration begins in the southern plains of the Serengeti in Tanzania, where the wildebeest give birth to their young between January and March. See our Best of the Serengeti Tour Page.
- As the rainy season ends, the grass becomes scarce, and the wildebeest, zebras, and gazelles move north in search of fresh grazing lands.
- On route they move across predator filled plains and rivers until they cross the Mara river and into the Masai Mara in Kenya around July/August, where they spend the remainder of the dry season.
- As the long rains start in October and November, the wildebeest begin their return journey south, crossing the Mara River once again on their way back to the Serengeti.
- Along the way, they face many challenges, including crossing crocodile-infested rivers, evading predators, and finding enough food and water.
This annual migration is a natural phenomenon that has been occurring for thousands of years, and is considered to be one of the most spectacular wildlife events in the world. It truly is a unique opportunity to witness the natural cycle of life, death, and renewal that takes place in the African savannah.
Here are three points why you should consider visiting during the great migration;
- The River Crossing: One of the most dramatic moments of the migration is when the animals cross the Mara River, which is filled with crocodiles and hippos. It's a heart-stopping moment to watch as the animals race across the river, dodging (or not at times) predators as they go.
- Predator Action: The migration also brings large numbers of predators such as lion, leopard, hyena, and cheetah into the area, providing visitors with a chance to see these animals hunting in their natural environment.
- Balloon Safaris: A great way to see the migration is to take a hot-air balloon safari, as this allows you to see the massive herds of animals from a bird's-eye view.
That said, the Masai Mara was not labelled the best game reserve in the world only because of this migration. Its year round game viewing is absolutely incredible. If you still have any doubt, please feel free to see the videos and links below that will back me in saying why we believe to provide the very best Masai Mara safari experience available.
Why Visit The Wild Eye Mara Camp
Why the Masai Mara with Wild Eye - from a guest's perspective
At Wild Eye, we pride ourselves in offering our guests top level service from start to end to ensure that they have the best possible safari experience. Speaking of, here is a list of links to trips that we have on offer to the Masai Mara for you;
- Masai Mara Experience Safari
- Great Migration Safari
- Serengeti & Masai Mara Migration Safari
- Great Migration with Hides & Helicopters
- Amboseli and Masai Mara Safari
- Masai Mara Photography Workshop
The Masai Mara is truly a marvel of nature and culture and if you ever have a chance to visit this special place, we would love to assist you in planning a safari that will change the way you see the world.
Join Us In The Masai Mara
Combining the incredible game viewing with the exclusivity of the Wild Eye Mara Camp, the passion, knowledge and experience of our team, we have taken a safari in Kenya to a whole new level, providing what we believe to be the very best Masai Mara safari available.
Come join us on the adventure of a lifetime!